Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Stardust

On a whim I went and saw Stardust last night. I'd been wanting to see this for quite a while and figured I better get to it before it leaves theaters.

I tried to explain the plot to a friend based on what I remembered from a few previews but failed miserably other than to say "uh, its a fantasy story about a star who falls to earth and transforms into a girl, and its got witches, magic and other fantasy stuff in it".

Anyways, any description I gave would probably have been pretty misleading as I didn't know that the movie had planned to be so tongue-in-cheek, or rather over the top with certain elements. It never really takes itself too seriously and is all the better for it. Brett said it was very similar to A Princess Bride and I would definitely have to agree. The humor was very familiar, but this movie had a bit more of a dark side, a bit more gore, and just overall felt to be aimed at an older audience. There is a lot of witty banter between the various characters and it feels more like a comedy than a fantasy epic about a lowly shop boy trying to win his true love.

Oh yeah, and watching Robert De Niro dance around in a dress was pretty funny too.

No comments: